Well, here we are in an economic recession—the doldrums, which in sailing terms means no wind, nothing happening. On a boat, when this happens, you have to sit it out and wait for the wind to fill the sails again.
This forced inertia is an opportunity for us to reflect on where we are in our lives. Are we spending our time in a way that brings us pleasure and joy, either in work or leisure time?
In our work, are we in a career that allows us to share our best gifts—despite our inherited fears of scarcity—and experience the amazing fulfillment of making a difference with our gifts?
In our leisure time, are we making space in our days to be in the moment, or are we whizzing off to the next thing, the next obligation? Have we asked ourselves recently what brings us true pleasure (and by the way, costs very little)—quiet time by the fire with a good book, dancing to some rocking tunes, board games and laughs with the kids, a romantic walk by the lake with our honey, trying a new recipe, visiting our favorite art or craft gallery—and how often do we do those things?
It is a great time to take stock of your life:
- Look at your schedule. Is it overbooked? When you are experiencing the stressors and pressures of uncertainty, it is always best to pare back, say yes to those things that are absolutely necessary and no to what is not.
- Get your money house in order: spend less, pay off debt and save what you can, knowing that you actually need very little to be happy, and that happiness comes in simplicity and focus on what truly matters to you.
- Use your time to lift your spirits and increase your well being in ways that have the most benefits for you, that speak to you deeply.
- Take good care of yourself: eat well, get plenty of rest and reflective time, use meditation or other relaxation and mind emptying tools.
- Get your body moving in a fun and pleasurable way that you enjoy.
- Communicate and spend time with those close to your heart–good honest communication that shares your concerns and upsets in a constructive, growth enhanced way as well as your love and support.
Create in you an irresistible energy, putting wings on your heart,
That will allow you to fly beyond all self-imposed limitations.
There’s no pushing the wind. All we can really do is accept what is for now, knowing that everything eventually changes.
And with that acceptance, direct those changes toward that which we desire, ready to catch the next stout wind that will fill our billowing sails.