The Historical Society of Quaker Hill & Pawling will “Honor the Meeting House” on Its 250th Birthday, at the Meeting House , Meeting House Rd, Sunday, September 21st at 12 Noon.
Mr. Roger Smith, Event Chair described details of the event: At 12:30 PM the unveiling of a brand new sign with photos taken as they were in 1904 will take place: Mr. Smith explained that “The last day of the Quaker Hill Conferences (1899-1908, in September) was Quaker Hill Day and was held here at the Oblong Friends Meeting House. Lengthy presentations were given on topics of local history. Then followed a horse and carriage cavalcade for a “collation” (a light, informal meal) down between Akin Hall and the Manse.”
Further, Mr. Smith noted that “Those attending the event will have excerpts from the past to take home, which give the flavor of Quaker Hill Day. And we will have the “collation” here at the Meeting House andnot require horses and carriages.
In addition we have the history on the new sign, which is being dedicated at the event, and 15 new storyboards inside the Meeting House telling the history of the Quakers of Quaker Hill and the history of the Quaker Hill Conferences.”
The Historical Society was formed in 1910, after the Conferences ended, to continue the local history tradition of Quaker Hill Day. There are more photos, artifacts and storyboards in the Historical Society’s museum at Akin Library.
Mr. Smith also included the (Pawling Historical Society’s) article written (about the event) in 1904 by the Pawling Chronicle about the event: Please enjoy the article included here. Reservations and Inquiries for the 250th Birthday Party of the Meeting House: Please contact Roger and Betty Smith: 845-855-1248 or email@example.com